Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 13:16:31 -0400
Charles Stanion wrote:

> Anyone know if (and if so, when) Langdon Clemens was baptized?  I'm
> curious about any possible connection between Langdon's death and
> Twain's scorn for certain religious beliefs that unbaptized babies
> go to Hell.

Dixon Wector writes in _The Love Letters of Mark Twain_, p.155, "on
November 7 she gave birth prematurely to a frail boy, christened Langdon,".

I presume Wector is stating that Langdon was baptized immediately.

I haven't noticed any other reference to any baptisms of any of the
Clemens's or their relatives.  Perhaps, 19th century babies were baptised
as routinely as ours are given birth certificates.(?)

larry marshburne