From:
David Antonucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:26:33 -0800
Robert Stewart is either confused, or seeks to confuse; I am not sure which.
Stewart responded privately and directly to me with this email message
on December 7, 2014.
I will not bother the Forum with this matter. I know you read my
emails because the forum posts come via the sender's name. Thank you
for the endorsement, David. As was pointed out to me by others after
reading your post, "down the shore" clearly does not apply to the
north shore. You may argue all night that :down: means downhill, but
this line in an 1861 letter specifies "shore." and "side," not "end"
of the lake. A personal letter is not a reminiscence years later, but
a statement made at the time.
This off-forum email message sought to rebut my MTF comment of
December 3 pointing out the problems with his scenario that assumed an
SLC visit at a house at Glenbrook on the East Shore of Lake Tahoe
during his 1861 timber claim search. You can view my original post at
https://listserv.yorku.ca/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1412&L=twain-l&T=0&P=59
Inasmuch as Stewart’s December 7 message does not directly address the
issues raised in my original post, I have no further words about it.
On December 12, Stewart posted on the MTF about my clarification and
additional relevant facts about the Nevada Board of Geographical Names
hearing that rejected the cove naming. He stated that this was in
response to the above-quoted email message about the assumed visit at
the house. However, this email massage has nothing to do with the cove
naming issue.
Certainly, many of you are surely tired of this back and forth over
the seemingly minor issue of the location of the SLC campsite at Lake
Tahoe. I will continue to respond to Robert Stewart’s posts that
attempt to convince MTF subscribers to believe his campsite theory, or
seek to disparage content in my book, Fairest Picture – Mark Twain at
Lake Tahoe.
David C. Antonucci