From:
Martha Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 10:47:57 -0700
The general idea (that the laboring class possesses immense power if it
only becomes more aware of its situation and acts on it) is found in many
19th century sources. A certain amount of convergence between two American
authors who shared a culture and vocabulary is to be expected, even if
there was no direct influence. I suspect to even entertain this idea you
need a society with widespread literacy and print or broadcast media. The
idea that systematic robbing the productive members of society of the
fruits of their labors is wrong, and very damaging to society, is found in
the Bible and in numerous ancient, Medieval, and early modern sources, but
the corrective force is always top down - a reformed priesthood or a just
monarch..

Martha Sherwood