Sender:
From:
david burman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 17:44:00 -0500
>Dear HP  people,
>
>For those who, like me, find consumer culture, as expressed and influenced
through advertising, to be a major cause of personal and planetary ill
health, "Adbusters," the Vancouver based satirical magazine is a humourous
antidote.

>For example, one of their send-ups is of Joe Camel (cool cigarette ads),
portrayed as Joe Chemo (puffing away in a hospital gown dragging an IV
pole). This counter-advertisement has been adopted by one of the US lung
associations in their anti-smoking campaign, much to the consternation of
Reynolds Tobacco.

>To raise consciousness about consumer culture, they have initiated Buy
Nothing Day. This year, Buy Nothing Day is coming up on November 28th.
Adbusters has raised $3,500 so far to buy one 30-second spot on the CNN
Headline News during the week leading up to November 28th. They are hoping
to buy ten more -- so, please pass the word around to your your well-off
friends... let's invade the command centres of our consumer culture with
this spot.

>If you don't have any well off friends, you may want to consider buying
nothing on Nov 28th to see what it feels like. You can view the spot on
their website (www.adbusters.org)

david
David Burman                    [log in to unmask]
University of Toronto           phone: 416-978-0536
19 Russell Street               fax: 416-978-8511
Toronto, ON, Canada
M5S 2S2