From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:44:15 -0700
Tessah, my associate Daphne and I were at an event a month ago, whose
policy regarding reimbursement for participant expenses gave us a
pleasant surprise.

We each have a household income which puts us in the lowest decile,
not just quintile, of income. Therefore, unless our expenses can be
fully paid (door-to-door) we cannot participate and thus contribute
our perspective at events we'd otherwise want to attend.

What made this event different from all others we've attended in the
past was that travel and accommodation expenses were offered to all
participants, regardless of income status. So for the first time,
Daphne and I didn't have to justify our need for assistance. We were
treated equally, just like everyone else.

How many of the participants who could afford to pay their own
expenses actually applied for reimbursement I've no clue. I suspect
that, in support of the organization that hosted the event, most of
them didn't.

Ocean
---
WISE Book - Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front
Podcast Channel: http://bcseawalker.podbean.com/
Personal Blog: Challenging the Commonplace - and other irreverent activities
http://challengingthecommonplace.blogspot.com/