From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:46:11 -0400
Hello,

'specially designated [health] dates', I too would like to see a
comprehensive listing of such events for Canada and by province. I have
received frequent requests for such listings and have missed the former
Health Promotion in Canada magazine produced by Health Canada until
1995.

Regarding Debbie's suggestions, there are a few difficulties in finding
the comprehensive list of weeks and months. In the new Health Promotion
in Canada journal, the one that I have seen [Winter-Spring 1997] only
had listings until June of 1997 and further editions are on a
subscription basis only.  Health Promotion Online does indeed have an
on-line 'calendar of events' - however it does not appear to be a
listing of specially designated dates - it is a list of events and
workshops as posted by users of the web-site.  If you go to the web-site
that Debbie referred to [http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hppb/calendar/ ] you
will see the message:
Calendar of Events /   Calendrier des événements
 Note: As this Calendar of Events is updated by outside
 users, Health Canada assumes no responsibility for the
 accuracy or completeness of this information. Please
 confirm the accuracy of the conference information with the
 contact person. The information is displayed in the
 language that the user entered it.

Perhaps I have not found the desired listing of designated weeks on that
site. I have looked at the 37 entries and noted that many are conference
listings for events happening throughout the world, with only 10 being
Canadian conferences.

I have found the most comprehensive listing of health events by month to
be available from the Consumer Health Information Service, based at the
Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library.  The Consumer Health Information
Service web-site on Health Events is:
http://www.mtrl.toronto.on.ca/centres/chis/event.html
As it says - "The following list is a compilation of Special Dates
published by Health Canada in Health Promotion in Canada
     (quarterly) and by the Health Promotion Branch, Ontario Ministry of
Health. The list changes yearly as municipal,
     provincial and federal governments "declare" special dates or a
group pronounces that this is the week or month
     for their campaign. Also included is information from [Ontario]
Management Board Secretariat and Reference
     Canada's Guide to Event's 1997."
It was last updated in March.

If anyone else has suggestions for such listings - many of us could
benefit!

Thanks,

Alison
Alison Stirling, health promotion consultant
Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
1(800) 263-2846 ext 226 OR (416) 408-2121 ext 226
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Internet: http://www.web.net/~stirling/