Date:
Wed, 11 May 2022 00:03:41 -0700
8bit
Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
I would like to determine the first solid evidence of where Sam Clemens
was after departing New York in 1854. Is there any real proof that he
arrived in St. Louis before taking a steamboat to Muscatine?  What is
the first known date for Sam in Muscatine? What evidence did Paine have
that Sam visited Pamela in St. Louis before departing for Muscatine?

I'd like to continue to believe Sam's recollection if only for its
poetry but I'm at a loss as to how he got to St. Louis by train.