From:
Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 14:45:46 -0600
The "French reader," in my opinion, says it very well.  The word "nigger"
is, and should be, offensive, and should be received as offensive, an
offensive banality in Twain's usage that symbolizes the offensive banality
of racism that permeated the 1840s culture he wrote about, the 1880s
culture in which he wrote the words, and our own culture, perhaps, perhaps,
to a lesser extent.  To substitute the word "slave" is, I think, to miss
the point entirely.  Even in 1885 you could read the word "slave," or a
story about slavery, and deceive yourself with comfortable denial, noting
that slavery was a thing of the historical past, not a part of your present
world.  Pervasive cultural and political racism is, however, another
matter, undeniable then as now. Slavery, in my opinion, was only the
vehicle or, as the littery types like to say, the trope through which Twain
exposes the reader to the inherent racism implanted in Huck's "deformed
conscience."  As grotesque as the institution of slavery was, Twain was
aiming at a much more basic target, the racism which is, of course, the
root of slavery, and the unquestioned generalizations which prevent us from
seeing through the category boundaries of social, cultural and political
perceptions.  Using the word "slave," is, in my opinion, a palliative, a
means of evading the powerful offense engendered, even today, by the word
"nigger."  We should be offended by it, and hope that others are as well.
Anyone arguing that Twain uses the word merely to convey a sense of
historic colloquial realism underestimates Twain and his "pen warmed up in
hell."

Martin Zehr
Kansas City, Missouri