From:
Ben Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 02:40:17 +0000
You're welcome. My pleasure!

Ben

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Kitty" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:36:57 PM
Subject: Re: News Release: The Mark Twain House & Museum Appoints Dr. Cindy Lovell as its New Executive Director

Thank you for sharing this.

Alan

On Jan 31, 2013, at 2:35 PM, Ben Wise wrote:

> Speaking of whom, I just received her approval for making public a =
couple of videos I took of Hal Holbrook receiving the Lifetime =
Achievement Award at the Museum in Hannibal on Nov. 18. Please forgive =
the less-than-professional videography! But I hope you'll agree, for =
fans of MT and/or HH, it's a document worth watching.=20
>=20
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4hNM_D4s00s (introductory speeches, =
featuring Cindy, and a representative of the state's governor)=20
>=20
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D33ZWMxv4tZA (presentation of the =
award to HH, his acceptance speech, and the informal interview that =
followed.)=20
>=20
> Enjoy!=20
>=20
> Ben=20
>=20
>=20
Cindy Lovell as its New Executive Director=20
>=20
> She sounds like someone who was born for this job. Congratulations to =
her=20
> and to the museum!=20
>=20
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Mark Twain Forum List Administrator <=20=

> [log in to unmask]> wrote:=20
>=20
>> The Mark Twain House & Museum Appoints Dr. Cindy Lovell as its New=20
>> Executive=20
>> Director=20
>>=20
>> HARTFORD, January 11, 2013 -- Gregory Boyko, President of the Board =
of=20
>> Trustees of The Mark Twain House & Museum, announced today the =
appointment=20
>> of Dr. Cindy Lovell as the museum's Executive Director. Lovell is =
currently=20
>> Executive Director of the Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum in =
Hannibal,=20
>> Missouri.=20
>>=20
>> Lovell was chosen after a six-month national search, with a Search=20
>> Committee=20
>> of the Board of Trustees considering nearly 50 applicants for the =
position.=20
>> The museum was aided in its efforts by PBR Executive Search, a New=20
>> York-based firm, and the position was advertised in museum =
publications=20
>> nationwide.=20
>>=20
>> "We are delighted to have been able to find someone with Dr. Lovell's=20=

>> unique combination of strengths," said Boyko. "She has a strong track=20=

>> record=20
>> in fundraising, proven leadership, passion, energy -- and most =
important,=20
>> she has a deep devotion to Mark Twain. We look forward to working =
with her=20
>> to create a greater presence for The Mark Twain House & Museum by =
building=20
>> on Mark Twain as an international icon through an increased focus on=20=

>> writing=20
>> and literature."=20
>>=20
>> "To have served in Hannibal and now in Hartford at the two homes =
where Sam=20
>> Clemens resided the longest is the highest honor I could know," =
Lovell=20
>> said.=20
>> "I'm excited and eager to continue the collaboration between the two =
homes=20
>> in our shared vision of preserving Mark Twain's legacy."=20
>>=20
>> Lovell succeeds Jeffrey L. Nichols, who left the museum in July to =
take a=20
>> position as President and CEO of Poplar Forest, a historic home owned =
by=20
>> Thomas Jefferson in Lynchburg, Virginia.=20
>>=20
>> She will begin her new position on March 4. Interim Executive =
Director=20
>> Patti=20
>> Philippon, the museum's Beatrice Fox Auerbach Chief Curator, will =
continue=20
>> to direct the museum until that date.=20
>>=20
>> "I want to thank Patti for her stalwart efforts in keeping the museum =
going=20
>> over the past months, during an extremely busy period, and in =
continuing to=20
>> maintain the quality of our exhibitions and preservation efforts," =
said=20
>> Boyko.=20
>>=20
>> Dr. Cindy Lovell has served as Executive Director of the Mark Twain =
Boyhood=20
>> Home & Museum since 2008. She is also a tenured associate professor =
of=20
>> education at Quincy University in Quincy, Illinois.=20
>>=20
>> Lovell grew up on a farm in Pennsylvania where she first fell in love =
with=20
>> Twain's writing at the age of ten. A non-traditional student, she =
began=20
>> college at the age of 35. She holds a B.A. in elementary education =
and an=20
>> M.A. in education, both from Stetson University in Florida. She =
earned a=20
>> Ph.D in education from The University of Iowa, with concentrations in=20=

>> gifted=20
>> education and English as a new language. She taught elementary school =
in=20
>> Florida where she earned tenure, then taught at her alma mater, =
Stetson=20
>> University, where she also earned tenure before moving to Hannibal.=20=

>>=20
>> In Hannibal she has directed the Mark Twain Young Authors workshop, =
taught=20
>> numerous writing workshops for adults, and co-directed the Mark Twain=20=

>> Teacher Workshops with museum Curator Henry Sweets. She has also =
presented=20
>> keynotes and educator workshops at various Big Read events around the=20=

>> country for communities reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.=20
>>=20
>> A lover of children's literature, Lovell has authored two children's=20=

>> novels,=20
>> Rachel Mason Hears the Sound and Not This Sunday. She co-authored =
Down the=20
>> Mississippi: A Modern-day Huck on America's River Road with CNN =
iReporter=20
>> Neal Moore, and is a contributor to The Huffington Post. Lovell has=20=

>> authored dozens of articles, textbook chapters, and essays.=20
>>=20
>> Lovell's best known project is Mark Twain: Words & Music, a double CD=20=

>> telling the story of Mark Twain's life in spoken word and song. She=20=

>> conceived the idea as a tribute to Twain to acknowledge the 100th=20
>> anniversary of his death in 2010. The CD features Clint Eastwood as =
Twain,=20
>> Jimmy Buffett as Huck Finn, and Garrison Keillor as the narrator and=20=

>> includes songs by Brad Paisley, Sheryl Crow, Emmylou Harris, Vince =
Gill,=20
>> Ricky Skaggs and others. It was released in 2011 as a benefit for the =
Mark=20
>> Twain Boyhood Home & Museum. Lovell wrote the narrative and served as=20=

>> co-executive producer with Carl Jackson, a Grammy award-winning =
musician.=20
>>=20
>> At Quincy University Lovell has taught ethics in education, =
children's=20
>> literature, educational psychology, foundations of education, and two=20=

>> first-year experience courses -- one on Twain, and one, Prison =
Nation,=20
>> which=20
>> focuses on the prison crisis in America. At Quincy she also serves as=20=

>> counselor for Kappa Delta Pi, the international honor society for=20
>> educators.=20
>>=20
>> Lovell serves on various boards and committees and has been =
recognized for=20
>> her work in the community. She received the Hannibal NAACP Martin =
Luther=20
>> King, Jr. Award in 2010. Under her leadership, the Museum received =
the=20
>> Missouri Governor's 2010 Humanities Award for Exemplary Community=20
>> Achievement and the Hannibal Area Chamber of Commerce 2011 Civic=20
>> Contributor=20
>> Award. Lovell also received the Hannibal Area Chamber of Commerce =
2012=20
>> Community Betterment Award and the 2012 Missouri Governor's =
Ambassador=20
>> Award.=20
>>=20
>> Lovell collaborated with her colleagues at The Mark Twain House & =
Museum=20
>> and=20
>> other Twain sites for the successful passage of the Mark Twain=20
>> Commemorative=20
>> Coin Act, which benefits four major Twain institutions and was signed =
into=20
>> law by President Obama in December 2012.=20
>>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20