From:
Michelle Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:46:49 -0500
Greetings,

The CLAD site works; I checked it because that's one of the sites I would have
recommended. I worked with CLAD before moving into health info, and can
recommend the tool as a comprehensive review of how easy-to-read your materials
are; it also addresses how design aspects can make something more or less
effective. There are lots of other tools that measure readability, though they
can be clunky to use and are more focused on grade reading level. Write me off
list if anyone's interested in learning more.

In terms of ensuring suitability for audience, health promotion values and so
on, I'd also recommend a couple pieces:

-  from the Centre for Health Promotion Health Communication Unit, lots of
resources on preparing and evaluating health communication material:
http://www.utoronto.ca/chp/hcu/hcu-publications.html#Workbooks

- from the Canadian Health Network site (prepared in collaboration with the
above group), a checklist that tells you how to know if a health info Web site
is health-promoting and trustworthy:
http://www.canadian-health-network.ca/html/help/netinfoe.html

Michelle Black