From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 2021 19:31:34 -0600
From my research notes -- I came across old newspaper archives that
detailed the performance of Twain's play "Becoming an Editor" in 1907-1908
on the NY stage. The play was an adaptation by French writer Gabriel
Timmory. Literary agent Elisabeth Marbury and Roi Cooper Megrue helped
negotiate the deal. Arnold Daly starred in the leading role on the NY
stage. Both Daly and Timmory wrote Twain regarding the play, but once
again no reply by Twain to either man seems to have been recovered.

In 2006 Shelley Fishkin graciously sent me some copies of correspondence
between Megrue and Isable Lyon dated 8 Aug. 1905  discussing Timmory's
contract to make the adaptation.

A search today in the historical newspaper databases for the key words
timmory and twain brings up 37 hits dated 1907 about the play.

Barb