From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:58:42 -0700
Trying to come up with a description or a summary of Mark Twain's
audience, I think, is ultimately un-doable. As I've been collecting the
reviews for his shows with George Cable I have wondered if anything of
substance can be gleaned from them.  The comments I can recall about the
audience(s) have all been rather subjective statements about them being
the upper crust of the local population - the most literate, the best
dressed, the most intelligent. It's difficult to tell what this says in
truth about any particular show as opposed to what it tells us about any
particular reviewer (who remains nameless behind the masthead).

At best, I think, we wind up with a collection of anecdotes.  But as
with most things related to Twain - it's fun to try.

--
 There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of
                          in your philosophy.