From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:18:23 -0700
For those interested in such things, I have been trying to map Twain's
travels associated with his 1868-69 American Vandals Tour.  The
University of Nebraska has a collection of kmz files for railroads up to
1870 and it is these that I have most relied on.  Many segments don't
have names and many are approximations of routes.  It's not possible to
accurately compare these with the USGS maps of the regions as the
government maps are more recent and railroad companies have been
unstable in regards to ownership and locations.  Many of these reported
railroads do not seem to be known to Google.

I have often seen remarks on Mark Twain becoming fatigued/disenchanted
with touring.  Examining these maps may provide some indication just why
this happened.  He covered a lot of miles.  I have divided the tour up
into 6 arbitrary sections for my Twain's Geography site, mainly to
lessen confusion with the maps.

http://twainsgeography.com/content/american-vandal-abroad-1868-69