From:
Robert STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2020 23:02:08 +0000
 Adding to David's accurate response. Sam Clemens' first visit to the Tahoe timber claim was with John Kinney. Kinney then went to Aurora and purchased mining claims for himself and Territorial Judge George Turner. Clemens returned to reestablish the timber claim with Tom Nye. In July, 1862 Tom had become a member of his father John Nye's Tahoe Timber Claim in Ormsby County. Two trips with different companions. So who did the "we" in Roughing it involve? In RI, written for humor, not as autobiography, Twain suggests there was but one timber claim trip, which was months was longer than it could have been; Clemens was at work for his brother, during the October-November Territorial Legislative session. Kinney was in Aurora. Perhaps that is why Twain says in RI that the visit by Kinney and the narrator of RI was in August, when in fact Kinney did not arrive in Carson City until September 9-12 (His stage left Salt Lake City on Sept. 4) . Note what may have been careful wording in RI: Twain doesn't directly say the many [imaginary] adventures involved the [imaginary] lengthy Tahoe visit. But I have found no time during which John Kinney and Sam Clemens could have gotten together after that first Timber Claim trip before Kinney returned to Ohio in 1862, where he helped form the Seventh Ohio Cavalry. He then resigned his commission in December 1862. John Kinney died in Memphis during the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1878..    On Monday, March 16, 2020, 08:28:02 AM PDT, David Antonucci <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 In my research, I was able to identify many subsequent visits to Lake
Tahoe following the two timber claim related trips in 1861. He visited
two hotels, Lake House and Logan House, and made a fishing trip with a
Virginia City doctor. In addition, he made several trips through Tahoe
on his way to and from San Francisco None of these would seem to fall
into the category of "blood-curdling adventures." I found no evidence
he visited Tahoe during his time in the Mother Lode. There are reports
of Twain appearing at Tahoe after he left the West for the last time
but these are likely imposters or historical inaccuracies.