Sender:
From:
Steve Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2021 02:15:10 +0000
Hello all,
Some of you may remember Loren Ghiglione’s lively presentation at the 2013 State of Mark Twain Studies conference in Elmira. Loren, then a journalism prof at Northwestern, had traveled with two students on a 14,000-mile-plus odyssey through the U.S. of A. looking for America’s identity – and following a pretty good route for unveiling said identity, Mark Twain’s footsteps. Now he and the students (students no longer, of course) have produced a book.
The Mark Twain House & Museum, and its personable and eloquent “The Trouble Begins at 5:30” host, Director of Collections Jodi DeBruyne, skunked me this week by scheduling this week’s Trouble on a Monday rather than a Wednesday – usually I can give you all a couple of days’ notice.
Monday, that is, April 22; 5:30 p.m.; free as the air (though you can donate along the way); and of course virtual. Here it is, in the inimitable words of the Hartford house’s marketers:
“For the first Trouble Begins at 5:30 lecture of the spring 2021 season, The Mark Twain House & Museum is thrilled to host Loren Ghiglione, Alyssa Karas, and Dan Tham as they talk about their book ‘Genus Americanus: Hitting the Road in Search of America’s Identity’ and their journey to follow in Mark Twain’s footsteps across the United States.
“A seventy-year-old Northwestern journalism professor, Loren Ghiglione, and two twenty-something Northwestern journalism students, Alyssa Karas and Dan Tham, climbed into a minivan and embarked on a three-month, twenty-eight state, 14,063-mile road trip in search of America’s identity.
“On their journey they retraced Mark Twain’s travels across America—from Hannibal, Missouri, to Chicago, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, DC, New Orleans, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Seattle. They hoped Twain’s insights into the late nineteenth-century soul of America would help them understand the America of today and the ways that our cultural fabric has shifted. Their interviews focused on issues of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, and immigration status.”
You can read more about all this, and register here: https://marktwainhouse.org/event/trouble-begins-genus-americanus/
Best,
Steve

Steve Courtney, Curatorial Volunteer
The Mark Twain House & Museum
351 Farmington Avenue
Hartford, Connecticut 06105
860-302-8969

Even though The Mark Twain House & Museum is temporarily closed to the public, we are still offering many online programs. Visit our website<https://marktwainhouse.org/> for virtual programming, and the most up-to-date information on all things Mark Twain House & Museum.  If you are able, consider making a donation<https://ci.ovationtix.com/35359/store/donations/>.