From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2021 00:21:11 -0700
It appears the DL&W is ripe for additional research.  Thank you, Kevin.
As for Olana, I know that Twain probably took the Hudson River line to
Poughkeepsie on his Our Fellow Savages Tour but I have yet to do much on
this on the Twain's Geography site. To get from Hartford to Elmira Twain
would need to take the New York, New Haven and Hartford Line to New
York, then the DL&W to Elmira.  I understand the Langdons were very much
involved in coal and coal was a primary source of revenue for the DL&W.
The Wikipedia article mentions that the diminishing of the coal trade
was a major factor in causing the DL&W to merge with Erie.