From:
Warren Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2021 10:35:54 -0400
Steve and other valued colleagues--

Many years ago--in the 1950s and early 1960s--I grew up in Austin. Its
population then--about 180,000 people--was a fraction of its size today, of
course. In the old days, I could ride my bike from our home in Tarrytown
either out to Lake Austin (a few miles west of where we lived) or all the
way downtown to the Governor's Mansion, where my late mother was then-Gov.
Price Daniel Sr.'s executive assistant. It was a great place to grow up.

I cannot imagine living in Austin now. For instance, I recently checked the
property taxes on the old family home on Bowman Avenue. My parents bought
the lot for $1,500 late in 1950 and built a 1,500 sq. ft. home for $6,000
in 1951. Today, the property taxes on that house are just under $16,000
every year. I understand that Texas has no income tax, but $16 grand/yr.
for property taxes? That's breathtaking, at least for my simple mind.

Kevin MacDonnell's collection of 'Twainiana' sounds truly stunning. All of
us--scholars and everyday Americans--owe him a huge debt for the time and
money he has spent over many years accumulating his collection. *Thank you,
Kevin!*

Best regards. . .and *Hook 'Em, Horns!!!*

Warren