Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From:
John Peter Zavez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2021 16:41:09 +0000
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is an implicit condemnation of racism written by a man with racial prejudices and narrated by a boy with racial prejudices.  Those paradoxes place it beyond the intellectual grasp of its supposedly intended audience.  Folks fixate on the liberal sprinkling of the N-word throughout which might have been cured by a corresponding overt attempt at making it into a teaching moment, as well as the more troubling issue of equating a black man and his quest for freedom with two white boys playing pranks.  Twain could have resolved much of that by telling the story from Jim’s perspective and giving it the gravity and irony it deserved.  For example, this is Jim musing on using the N-word in Black Lives Matter Too: My Adventures with Huckleberry Finn:

	While I was lying there one night trying to fall asleep, I remembered how I near broke that young boy’s neck on the raft when he called me “nigger.” It was partly because of how he surprised me by talking to me, but it was partly that he called me a slave name. Once a slave like me escapes, for as long as till he’s caught, no man who’s still a slave had the right to call me “nigger.” I chuckled to myself, thinking my ole Granny was right that I liked making rules for other people better than I liked following rules myself. The only time she ever hit me hard was the time she took a switch to me for calling my older brother a nigger. I was too young to know what it meant, exactly, but I knowed it was an insult from the way I heard other slaves use it on each other. After she thrashed me, she asked, “I’ve whipped you before, but you know I generally stop about the time you start crying, but this time I didn’t stop until I could see blood. Do you know why I whipped you so hard this time?”
	“You whipped me because I said ‘nigger,’ but I don’t know why it made you so mad. You know everyone around here says ‘nigger’ to each other whenever they feels like it, and none of them gets whipped.”
“I don’t care what everyone else says. All I care about, and all the Good Lord asked me to look out for, is that you don’t use that word no more. You see, most white people are God-fearing, so they feel guilty about owning slaves and are a-feared they’ll be punished for it someday. So they tell themselves that they are doing God’s work by taking care of black people who can’t be trusted to take care of themselves. When a white man calls a black man a ‘nigger,’ he’s just saying to the black man that you can’t be trusted with your own freedom. Since our masters have power over us, we got to just take it when they call us that. But when a black man calls another black man a ‘nigger,’ he’s just saying that our owners are right, that we don’t deserve to be free. And if we don’t think we deserve to be free, how we going to expect anyone else to think we deserve our freedom?”
	“But Johnny don’t deserve to be free, the way he stole my piece of watermelon when I weren’t looking. And he’s bigger than me, so the only way I can get back is to call him a … nnnn … name.”
 	“If he stole your watermelon – he said it was his watermelon – then he deserves to be punished, but even thieves get their freedom back after they’ve been punished. When you call him a ‘nigger,’ you’re saying that he never deserves to be free, and nobody like him deserves to be free neither. If your own brother don’t deserve to be free, then you don’t deserve to be free neither because you’re the most like him of anyone in the world.”
	“I ain’t like him one bit. Mama says we as different as night and day.”
	“Maybe your own Mama can see the difference between you two, but everyone else is going to judge that you don’t deserve to be free if your own brother don’t neither. Do you want that to happen?”
	“No . . . ma’am,” I said after remembering that she was still holding that switch.