Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 00:08:13 -0700
8bit
From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
This is an interesting question but as to why he didn't take a sleeper
car - simple economics.  They were expensive then and they're expensive
now.  The later Pullman Cars were the equivalent to today's private
jets.  Sam wasn't very detailed about his journey home.  There seems to
be no mention of the route.  The Pennsylvania Railroad ran to
Pittsburgh, The Ohio and Mississippi Railroad ran from East St. Louis to
Cincinnati.  Connections between them seem hazy.  Just speculating here
but perhaps Sam's route from St. Louis to New York was based on his
perception of the route.  He may have had it in mind that Chicago was
the place to get to.  Chicago was certainly trying to create than image.