Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2023 15:39:10 -0400
From:
Matthew Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
On several occasions between 1893 and 1909, Clemens described Rogers as his
"best friend." I remember very clearly that Rogers was not an avid reader
of Twain's books, but I don't remember exactly what he knew of his work
prior to their becoming friends. Vaguely I seem to recall he might've seen
one of the ill-fated plays. In any case, the place to turn is certainly the
Twain Project's edition of their letters, which can be borrowed from the
Internet Archive if you cannot find it elsewhere. - MS

*Matt Seybold, PhD*
Associate Professor of American Literature & Mark Twain Studies
Scholar-in-Residence, Center for Mark Twain Studies
Editor, MarkTwainStudies.org
Host, The American Vandal Podcast
<https://marktwainstudies.com/the-american-vandal-podcast/>

Peterson Chapel Vestry, Cowles Hall