From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 03:03:30 +0000
Some possible clues:

In NB III:174-78 Twain made a note to himself to send copies of Grant's
Memoirs to Andrew Reasoner (1823-1900), Frank J. Griffith (b. 1847), and
somebody named Billings. All three men were connected to the Delaware,
Lakawana & Western RR (owned by the Langdons) who made arrangements for
a special car each summer to take the Clemenses to/from Elmira.  The
copies to Reasoner and Griffith survive (I own the Griffith copy) but I
don't know about the one to Billings.

In NB III:212-17 Twain made a note to give a Grant Memoirs to the
Hartford RR station manager, William Collins.

Searching the letters at MTP and elsewhere for these men's names might
lead you to details about those arrangements.

BTW, I wish I had a death date for Griffith. I'm nearly certain that he
is dead.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books