From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:06:06 -0500
In annotations for Mark Twain’s letter of 2 Dec. 1867 to Elisha Bliss, the
editors state that Richardson’s BEYOND THE MISSISSIPPI had sold 75,000
copies by late 1869. (Online at marktwainproject.org). Beverly David in her
study of MARK TWAIN’S ILLUSTRATORS documents a number of illustrations that
Bliss reused from Richardson’s book in Mark Twain’s books.

Barb