From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 2020 16:06:45 +0000
Twain also owned a copy of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason in the 1880s,
so some of Kant's influence on Schopenhauer may have been direct on
Twain.  As for Neitzsche, Twain may have said he didn't read Neitzsche
himself, but he certainly knew his philosophy if his comments to Lyon
are any indication-- when she was reading Neitzsche in 1906 and quoting
Neitzsche to Twain because she thought they were similar in their
outlooks (cf Gribben). Another approach could be through the authors
heavily influenced by the Kant-Schopenhauer-Neitzsche school of thought,
like Tolstoy, whose works were read by Twain the 1880s and 1890s.

I don't have any works by Kant, Schopenhauer, or Neitzsche from Twain's
library, although I may have some works that quote from them that Twain
owned. That would take some poking around. But the Tolstoy connection
involved just two degrees of separation: Among Clara's signed cabinet
photos of musicians in her social circle in the 1890s, is a photo of
Tolstoy inscribed to Ossip. Twain and Ossip spent time together in 1898
and again when Ossip showed up at Stormfield to recover from surgery.
I've seen no evidence they ever spoke of Tolstoy, and I don't know under
what circumstances Ossip met or knew Tolstoy, but the subject could have
come up.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books