From:
Tom Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:33:27 -0700
from: http://www.apha.org/news/publications/journal/ab10july.htm

Income Inequality and Mortality in Metropolitan Areas of the United State

John W. Lynch, PhD, MPH, George A. Kaplan, PhD, Elsie R. Pamuk, PhD, Richard
D. Cohen, MA, Katherine E. Heck, MPH, Jennifer L. Balfour, MPH, and Irene H.
Yen, PhD, MPH

Objectives. This study examined associations between income inequality and
mortality in 282 US metropolitan areas.

Methods. Income inequality measures were calculated from the 1990 US Census.
Mortality was calculated from National Center for Health Statistics data and
modeled with weighted linear regressions of the log age-adjusted rate.

Results. Excess mortality between metropolitan areas with high and low
income inequality ranged from 64.7 to 95.8 deaths per 100 000 depending on
the inequality measure. In age-specific analyses, income inequality was most
evident for infant mortality and for mortality between ages 15 and 64.

Conclusions. Higher income inequality is associated with increased mortality
at all per capita income levels. Areas with high income inequality and low
average income had excess mortality of 139.8 deaths per 100 000 compared
with areas with low inequality and high income. The magnitude of this
mortality difference is comparable to the combined loss of life from lung
cancer, diabetes, motor vehicle crashes, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
infection, suicide, and homicide in 1995. Given the mortality burden
associated with income inequality, public and private sector initiatives to
reduce economic inequalities should be a high priority. (Am J Public Health.
1998;88:1074&SHY;1080)

Regards,

Tom Walker
#408 1035 Pacific St.