SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2021 18:02:47 +0000
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2021 12:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [POHG] Intersectionality Training Institute

Held back on this but just a poncy elaboration of what Deborah just said.

So long as we remember that the real - for realists among you I mean that exactly in Bhaskar's sense - is primarily constituted by capitalist social relations which in our contemporary order are not mutable in the way gender and race / ethnicity are mutable. Which is not to say that they do not matter but they plainly matter less than they did and capitalism can accommodate change in them in a way which it cannot accommodate change in fundamental class relations. Context matters and cultural forces can have causal powers - see the contemporary US as an extreme example. So all inequalities are power inequalities but those which derive from the complex character of class position are fundamental.

David Byrne