SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 06:35:40 -0500
For the kind attention of Dr. Margaret Chan Director General, The World
Health Organization (Please convey the following message to Dr. Chan)

Dear Dr. Margaret Chan,

The People’s Health Movement (PHM) takes great pleasure in welcoming you as
the next Director General of the World Health Organisation.

As  you  know,  the  PHM was active, along with others, in trying to ensure
that  the election was conducted in a manner that was transparent and which
would  ultimately  identify  the  best  candidate  to  lead an organisation
dedicated  to protecting and promoting the health of people worldwide, with
a  particular  responsibility of reducing inequalities in health and health
care.

You  were one of the candidates who took the trouble to respond to a set of
questions  that we posed to all the candidates. We appreciate your replies,
particularly those which reflect your commitment to:

• "the Alma Ata principles of Primary Health Care"

•  "revitalise  WHO  health  system agenda to support countries in building
their sustainable national capacities"

• "work of the Commission of the Social Determinants of Health in narrowing
health  inequalities through their recommendations for action on the social
determinants"

•  "the  strengthening  of  relations  with  Civil  Society" and "listening
closely to grassroots voices"

•  "transparency; removal of influence of special interests; evidence-based
practice; and the work ethic based on competencies; collaboration and pride
in achieving results for Health".

Only  a  strong  team  with  good  leadership  and  a  pool  of  skills and
experiences  can  take  WHO forward into the 21st century. We hope that you
will  recruit  individuals  into  your  senior  management  team  with  the
following competencies to complement those that you already demonstrate:

• the will and passion to institutionalise WHO’s work on a rights-based and
equity-oriented framework;

•  ability  to  communicate  and  develop  the  principles  of the Alma Ata
Declaration  and  the Primary Health Care Approach as the basis for all WHO
activities;

•  intellectual  leadership  and  expertise and experience from the social,
economic and political sciences to enable WHO and its member states to take
action on the social determinants of health;

• sustained experience of working in developing-country contexts;

•  diplomatic  skills to bring coherence to a fragmented and chaotic global
health landscape; and

•  courage  and  expertise  to  champion public health over profits and the
narrow expediencies of commercial activity.

It  is time that WHO becomes an organisation of the people, and not just an
organisation of governments and officials. We look forward to a renewal and
strengthening of WHO’s civil

society initiative and commit ourselves to working with you to enhance your
efforts through a positive collaboration. We would like to recall a message
from  the  late  Dr.  Lee Jong Wook to the delegates of the Second People’s
Health Assembly, which was held in Cuenca last year. He noted:

"Our  objective is the same, and our methods complement each other: working
with  governments  and  with non-governmental groups to protect and promote
the  health  of  all  peoples.  By  combining our strengths and uniting our
efforts,  we  have  achieved  a great deal and we will achieve a great deal
more  together….  as  the  People’s  Charter for Health puts it, our common
vision  is  "a  healthy life for all". Thank you for adding your voices and
your strength to the pursuit of this great objective".

The  future success of WHO will also depend on it being properly funded and
freed  from  too  many  donor-driven  agendas. The secretariat must also be
allowed  to  function  without  inappropriate  and undue influence from the
vested  interests  of particular countries or corporate interests. PHM will
endeavour to campaign for a more enabling environment for WHO itself.

We offer you our solidarity in working towards equity in health and request
a  formal  meeting  with you at the earliest convenient time. Please let us
know with whom we should liaise in order to set up such a meeting.

Yours sincerely,

The People’s Health Movement

Global  Secretariat---
PHA-Exchange is hosted on Kabissa - Space for change in Africa