SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Diana Liw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:07:07 -0700
I think the question is perhaps not how many deaths that vaccination reduces, but how many deaths due to complication of flue that were prevented because of the vaccine, or would have occurred if vaccines were not given.

I think that it is precisely the reason that the older population have less healthy immune system, that they need the vaccine.

What's rationale of vaccinating health care workers, healthy people working with young children or immunal compromised?  For years I have resisted getting the flu vaccines, because I am healthy (or I think I am).  Even workplaces are offering or encouraging their employees to get the flu vaccine so that the company will not lose productivity during flu season.  You can argue about their purity of their intention (productivity vs. genuine interest of the health of their workers, but that's beside the point).  So why single out the older population?  Is $150 million really that much compare to other outrageous health care costs?

It's like saying why do CPR if it only saves 2% of the people.  But if you don't administer CPR to those most need it, there won't be 2% that get saved.

>>> Robert C Bowman <[log in to unmask]> 09/25/07 6:18 AM >>>
More recent research highlights potentially better prevention of the spread
of flu by immunizing the youngest children.

This is a mobile group, the day care group, the one that contacts numerous
others of similar infection risk and spread of infection risk.

They are also the grandchildren of the at risk elderly.

Some studies indicate that this is an important group to immunize to impact
overall morbidity and mortality.

Also flu vaccine is always a poker game. You get 2 or 3 hands to play, but
Old Man Flu is the dealer and plays many more hands.

The result is not always predictable.

I do not doubt that there could be some manipulations or interpretations of
the data in favor of immunization, not an uncommon situation given the way
we train, fund research, easily manipulate the media, provide too little
independent research, fail to support public health well, and fund almost
no objective evaluation.

Expand horizons beyond the current focus to get closer to the truth.

Robert C. Bowman, M.D.

SIGNOFF SDOH

SET SDOH DIGEST