SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Jeff Denis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 17:10:36 -0400
Well put. I submitted the following letter to the Star last week, but it doesn't
look like they printed it:

While the Toronto Star (like every other newspaper and citizen) has a right to
its political opinions, I am disturbed by the hypocrisy of your recent
editorials.

First, the Star declares a “war on poverty,” yet encourages voters to support
Dalton McGuinty, who chose to give himself a $40,000 pay raise instead of
increasing the minimum wage to a livable rate.

Second, the Star claims to cherish public health care, yet encourages us to vote
for the Liberals, who have issued costly P3 hospital contracts and removed
optometry and physiotherapy from OHIP – all while nailing Ontario citizens with
a regressive new “health tax.”

Third, the Star says it believes in democracy, yet rejects the recommendation of
the Ontario Citizens’ Assembly to adopt a mixed-member proportional system,
which would better reflect voters’ intentions and prevent majority governments
from forming and doing as they pleased when a majority of voters did not vote
for them.

Proportional representation systems also happen to be associated with lower
poverty rates and stronger social programs – another reason the Star should
support electoral reform if it truly believes in the values it expresses.

How can your editors sleep at night?

Jeff Denis
Fort Frances, ON