SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"John Lynch, Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:08:37 -0400
Dear Mel
I think I agree. My main point was to suggest that we should not dismiss conventional risk factors so easily, based on the idea that they apparently explain very little. They remain important targets for intervention. That doesn't mean we do very well at those interventions or that they are socially progressive but nevertheless, these conventional risk factors matter. Recent papers suggest that as much as 60% of social inequality in health across Europe is due to smoking. Maybe thats too high but dismissing smoking would be a mistake.

Not sure that in 2. below, the gradient would be less steep - absolute levels might be lower at every point on the social scale but not necessarily less steep - may be even steeper if as you say, interventions are less effective among socially disadvantaged groups - which they are. But absolute risk would have declined among the less advantaged. Which do we care more about - relative or absolute gradients? Of course the ideal is to reduce both absolute and relative health inequality - but how?

And you are right, we have a pretty lousy track record at interventions aimed at behaviors and physiological risk factors. But 1. that does not mean we should deny their importance at the population level as significant parts of the causal chains of population levels and inequalities, and 2. levels of these risk factors have nevertheless declined markedly in rich countries in terms of secular trends in the population - what are the social causes of that? While income inequality has risen markedly since the 70s, cholesterol and blood pressure etc have declined?

Regards

John