SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Allison Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 12:51:55 -0500
You may want to check out some of Janet Smith's work at the
University of Illinois at Chicago:
http://www.uic.edu/cuppa/voorheesctr

Here's a blurb about her study on access for people with disabilities
in Chicago:
-----------
Accessible Housing Scarce, Hard to Locate, Study Finds

Illinois needs 10 times more affordable, accessible rental housing to
serve poor residents with disabilities, but could better use its
current supply with an interagency database, according to University
of Illinois at Chicago researchers.

A new study by UIC's Voorhees Center for Neighborhood and Community
Improvement, Housing Action Illinois, and Latinos United found that
subsidized accessible or adaptable housing is particularly scarce in
some Chicago neighborhoods and is unevenly distributed throughout the state.

Moreover, current information does not indicate whether people with
disabilities are living in these units, the team reported.

"The lack of information on who's living in accessible and adaptable
units means we can't determine if the intended beneficiaries are
actually benefiting. Illinois needs a comprehensive registry
involving all who develop, own and manage housing," said Janet Smith,
UIC associate professor of urban planning and policy and Voorhees
Center co-director.

The researchers found that 60 percent of low-income people with
disabilities are living in rental housing they cannot afford,
compared to 46 percent for non-disabled people. Maps in the report
show that low-income Chicagoans with disabilities are concentrated in
gentrifying neighborhoods where rising housing costs may lead to
displacement, including Kenwood, Oakland, Grand Boulevard, Washington
Park, Logan Square, Rogers Park and Westtown.

Among the researchers' recommendations:
-A statewide database incorporating data on occupancy, accessible and
standard features in each unit, and consistent criteria for
"accessible" and "adaptable" units
-More funding to modify homes
-More units in buildings for families and people under age 65
-Incentives to build units with universal design in non-subsidized
buildings, with or without specialized services
-More units throughout Illinois, not just in lower-income areas

"The Illinois Comprehensive Housing Plan specified a statewide
accessible housing registry, and its 2006 update says that objective
was accomplished," Smith said. "But our analysis shows how much more
can be done to make it useful to consumers, developers and policy makers."

At 08:13 AM 5/31/2007, Natasha Poushinsky wrote:
>Does anyone have any information on innovative funding strategies to create
>housing - any and all ideas are welcome.
>
>Thanks
>
>Natasha Poushinsky

Allison A. Brown
RRTCADD