SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:23:43 +1200
7bit
From:
Peter Glensor <[log in to unmask]>
I joined this list because of a commitment to address the Social
Determinants of Health.  I am an elected member and Chair of one of New
Zealand's 21 District Health Boards (DHB) - charged with spending the Health
Vote.  My own DHB is average sized - we serve 135,000 people and spend
around $300 million each year.

In addition, I am co-Chair of a national group - the Community Sector
Taskforce - a group of 10 people aiming to bring together the whole
Community and Voluntary (or Third) (or NGO) sector in New Zealand - to build
a stronger sense of sector identity, to promote the sector, and to build
stronger relationships with the State.

One of the projects we are sponsoring is to try and establish a centre -
Centre of Excellence on Tangata Whenua, Community and Voluntary Sector
Research.

Part of the goal of this centre is to promote the very dialogue you are
undertaking - what is the relationship between academia and the community?
Between university researchers and community agencies?

Thanks for the chance to participate in the discussion.

[I was interested in the way that this quite quickly became an emotional
discussion, with people feeling they personally were being accused of not
caring, or not being rigorous, or whatever.

For me, with a lifetime in the NGO sector, I have always been wary of
researchers.  But I have also known that academic research is a powerful
tool in working for social change.  Numbers speak volumes, and we have often
used research as an important dimension of our work.]

Our hope is that we can set up a centre which is a genuine partnership
between the NGO sector and a range of academic institutions.  The first
piece of our project is a web-based Clearing House of Research about and by
the Community.

There are so many obstacles to getting this Centre up and running.  Can
several universities work together on one centre?  Where will the funding
come from?  Will we be able to ensure the Centre is focused on our Sector,
and not be captured by the priorities or prejudices or bureaucracy of
academic institutions?

I'd be happy to send material to anyone who'd like to see it.  I'd be
delighted if anyone on this list had some insights or models or good ideas
you could share with us in New Zealand.

Thanks, if you got this far in my posting!

Peter Glensor

Peter Glensor
10A London Road
Korokoro