SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Melissa Raven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 23:16:06 +0000
discussed on Twitter by

@melb4886 Mel Bartley (editor) https://twitter.com/melb4886

@rebeccalacey Rebecca Lacey (contributor)

@psychepi Melissa Raven (me)

@bengoldacre Ben Goldacre

among others

From: Equity, Health & Human Development [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC)
Sent: Friday, 9 November 2012 7:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EQ] Social policy - Life gets under your skin

Life gets under your skin
Edited by Professor Mel Bartley
UCL Research Department of Epidemiology and Public Health on behalf of the ESRC
International Centre for Lifecourse Studies in Society and Health - 2012
Available online at: http://bit.ly/Q03KzQ
"..The booklet demonstrates how social policy related to family life, education, employment and welfare can have beneficial effects for the overall health of individuals. It also shows how multi disciplinary, longitudinal research can deliver findings valuable to the individual, society and the economy.."
"....In this booklet we have tried to give a flavour of what lifecourse research is discovering about health and well-being. For some time now, doctors, psychologists and economists have realised that health is not all about biology, and happiness is not all about money.

There is an interplay between what is around us in our everyday lives and what we bring with us from earlier in life. Children learn more at school when their family environment has prepared them to be 'school-ready'. Many young adults experiment with risk-taking for a while and then move on easily, while others find it harder. We all know some people who are able to 'make the best' of situations, even difficult ones, at home or at work, while others fail to cope. And most of us will know other people who have obvious talents which somehow they just never manage to make much of, who 'snatch defeat from the jaws of victory'.

By looking across the whole of the lifecourse at how biological, economic and psychological factors influence each other, we are just beginning to understand why individuals are the way they are.

Of course everyone is fascinated to understand themselves and those close to them. We watch TV soap operas in order to see all these individual life stories in a less threatening way, because they are not 'real', although they may remind us strongly of our own lives. But the understanding that lifecourse research can achieve has other significance as well.

Many of the diseases of ageing have their roots much earlier in life, and are more likely to be prevented by starting early. How much friendlier would our neighbourhoods be if everyone brought with them from childhood the general idea that other people are to be respected and valued? How much more productive would our national economy be if everyone made full use of their talents and abilities?
We hope that we have given some flavour of the promise held out by lifecourse research and how it could be applied to the real world."
To ensure delivery to your inbox, please add  [log in to unmask]  to your address book.
KMC/2012/SDE
Twitter http://twitter.com/eqpaho

 *      *     *
This message from the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO/WHO, is part of an effort to disseminate
information Related to: Equity; Health inequality; Socioeconomic inequality in health; Socioeconomic
health differentials; Gender; Violence; Poverty; Health Economics; Health Legislation; Ethnicity; Ethics;
Information Technology - Virtual libraries; Research & Science issues.  [DD/ KMC Area]
Washington DC USA
"Materials provided in this electronic list are provided "as is". Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings
and interpretations included in the Materials are those of the authors and not necessarily of The Pan American
Health Organization PAHO/WHO or its country members".
PAHO/WHO Website
Equity List - Archives - Join/remove: http://listserv.paho.org/Archives/equidad.html
Twitter http://twitter.com/eqpaho

IMPORTANT: This transmission is for use by the intended
recipient and it may contain privileged, proprietary or
confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient or a person responsible for delivering this
transmission to the intended recipient, you may not
disclose, copy or distribute this transmission or take
any action in reliance on it. If you received this transmission
in error, please dispose of and delete this transmission.
Thank you.