Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2022 04:14:30 +0000
Thanks for that! It just gets worse and worse. Putin muffed it, then the
translator muffed it; then the Guardian muffed it by misquoting the
translator; then Forbes muffed it by accurately quoting the Guardian;
then Paine muffed it; then Forbes muffed it by accurately quoting Paine.
Here are the texts from each source:

Forbes:

Russian President Vladimir Putin addressed rumors of his allegedly
failing health on Friday, using a popular Mark Twain misquote to dismiss
them.

“Like Mark Twain once said: ‘The rumors about my death were greatly
exaggerated,'" the despot said at the annual St. Petersburg
International Economic Forum in St. Petersburg, The Guardian reported.

According to Twain biographer Albert Paine, Twain instead said, "The
report of my death has been grossly exaggerated," when asked by a
reporter about his allegedly failing health.

Translator:

"The rumors about my death were largely viggerated."  Viggerated? Yup,
that's what I think I heard the translator say. Hope I'm not muffing it.

Twainquotes:

Image of Mark Twain's note attached, reading  " . . . the report of my
death was an exaggeration."

At least Twain got it right--unless you believe everything you read in
old newspapers.

Well, like Twain once said: "What a bunch of idiots!"

Actually, Twain said "We are all erring creatures, and mainly idiots . .
. "

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books