SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Margot Lettner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:53:56 -0400
October 6, 2004

To SDOH List subscribers,

We are SDOH subscribers working on a commissioned paper for Health
Canada, "Socio-Economic Inclusion: Deomgraphic Aging Among Immigrant
Populations and Implications for Health Policy in Ontario", as part of
population/public health strategies.  The focus of our research is a
preliminary report on the health
status of older (65 years and older) ethnic adults in Canada, specifically
recent immigrants who have arrived within the past 10 years, with a
particular focus on the demographics, presenting issues, and
ethnogerontology practice/health care system implications for the Province
of Ontario. In particular, we are looking at the health status of recent,
elderly, female immigrants to Canada/Ontario.

Given the very specific focus of the contracted research and our desire to
be as inclusive, concrete and current as possible, there are two areas that
we would appreciate any information or suggestions about from the broader
SDOH community with interest and experience in these issues:

-  current, non-standard sources on the intersection of aging, culture, and
health/ethnogerontology in older ethnic communities, preferably Canadian -
we have covered the standard literature indices/sources but would appreciate
knowing about any non-standard sources that you would recommend
-  to ground the literature review, we're developing a network of medical
practitioners/clinicians and researchers working in aging, culture and
health/ethnogerontology to ensure that we include all relevant, current,
research and practice
perspectives for Ontario. While the research parameters are
Ontario-specific, we would welcome interest from outside Ontario as well.
If you're interested in discussing your experiences, please contact Margot
Lettner directly at [log in to unmask]

Many thanks for taking the time to consider our request.

Regards,

Margot Lettner
Principal, Wasabi - Analysis, Strategy, Action
Instructor, Department of Politics and Public Administration
Ryerson University
Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Ito Peng