SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Beattie, Tanya" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:47:32 -0500
We have been sold a line for a while now that choices are the end all and be all and we all have the right and deserve to make our own choices, but, these choices do come with potentially steep costs that no one really talks about.  And that isn't even talking about how we actually make choices and how we are influenced to make those choices.  For those of you interested in this topic I highly recommend a book called "The Paradox of Choice" by Barry Schwartz.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=ElQVdxAipZ0C&dq=paradox+of+choice+barry+schwartz&source=bl&ots=fV2YDLSXE2&sig=hbQHv420cKQ-mhIBd8MmnhY5UIA&hl=en&ei=859YS_aqNpSENoLi-dwE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAw

Thanks for sharing this info Crystal, I think this is a great topic of discussion for all of us.
Tanya

Tanya Beattie, BScH
Public Health Promoter
KFL&A Public Health
221 Portsmouth Avenue
Kingston, Ontario  K7M 1V5
613-549-1232, ext. 1293
Fax: 613-549-7896
www.kflapublichealth.ca
 Please consider the environment before printing this email / Avant de faire imprimer ce courriel, veillez à l'environnement

This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the individual or entity named in the message.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If this communication was received in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and delete the original message.

Le présent message peut contenir des renseignements confidentiels réservés à l’usage exclusif du destinataire ou de l’organisme y figurant. Par conséquent, si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire de ce message ou la personne devant le lui remettre, nous vous avisons qu’il est strictement interdit de le passer en revue, de le diffuser, de le distribuer ou de le copier. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, nous vous remercions de nous en aviser par retour de courriel et de détruire le message original.