SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Graham Vimpani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2008 14:49:48 +1000
Thanks for your helpful comments Lyn and David - will chase that reference up.

I have found it interesting that nearly everyone has assumed that paying a woman not to have more children equated to this being used to fund her having an abortion or being sterilised.

That's not what I had in mind at all given our Medicare health insurance system in Australia.

I guess my comments are coloured too by the current policy in Australia to give all women who give birth to a child a $5,000 baby bonus.  In this woman's case, I think one could argue that it would be in the interests of subsequent children and society if this particular woman didn't have any more children - ok, the $5,000 - I would raise it to $10,000 in circumstances such as I've described - then becomes an incentive to get herself on to effective contraception which she would have to pay for since Medicare won't cover all of those costs. Then after she reaches menopause with no more kids to her name she gets the jackpot.  Given that this may mean a wait of 20 years into the future, some scheme whereby she could get a downpayment in advance of that would be necessary, to be returned (by reduction in benefits if unemployed, or a tax surcharge if she was working) if she did become pregnant.

Some have argued - and it's arguably better policy - that it would be better to get her into an effective drug rehab program.  Fine if it's accessible and it works, but that alone without changing other likely drivers of her addiction, probably only has modest chances of success.  Maybe both policies should be introduced.    One to directly benefit her and as a spin-off society, the other to benefit society and children who would otherwise have been born.

And, if she became rehabilitated and proven to remain drug free for some years the policy could have a rider that ensured no penalty would apply if she had a subsequent child.

I have commented IN NON SHOUTING CAPITALS  below on Lyn's comments.....
>>> David Zakus <[log in to unmask]> 10/04/08 1:17 PM >>>
HI...have you read the chapter on abortion in the book
"Freakonomics"...it makes for a very interesting read following from
this discussion...b est,
david zakus