SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 16:15:41 +0000
From:
"Davidson-Harden, Adam" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I've been really disheartened by this election, and that's saying a lot for a strong NDP supporter.  I should be happy, but I'm really not - not with the Harper majority.  http://Fairvote.ca is the right place to start for thinking about electoral reform - though I despair that the Conservatives will stifle any discussion to this end.  Every party stands to gain in a PR system except the governing party, which must contend with  more voices and more dialogue.  I wonder what the mechanics are of calling for a referendum on proportional representation electoral systems, because it strikes me that's where our energies need to be directed to best bring SDH to the table in a substantive way under this government.

Best,
-a

Adam Davidson-Harden, Ph.D
Research Associate, Centre for Learning in Practice, Office of Professional Affairs
and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Cultural and Policy Studies
Faculty of Education, Queen's University

Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada  |  Collège royal des médecins et chirurgiens du Canada, 774 Echo Drive, Ottawa ON Canada, K1S 5N8
Tel/Tél  613-730-8177 ext 449  |  Toll Free/Sans frais  1-800-668-3740 ext 449
 royalcollege.ca  |  collegeroyal.ca