SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Ann Curry-Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:20:08 -0800
Hi Diana and others,

There is massive attention to educational equity issues here in
Portland Oregon, and elsewhere around the USA. Key themes tend to
include: access to early education, attendance, standardized test
scores, discipline, graduation rates (and type and length of time to
graduation), access to post-secondary graduation, and graduation from
those sites, involvement and success in ESL, Special Education and
Gifted programs, and credit attainment.

We are mostly focusing on racial equity, but additional equity
dimensions also emerge. It is a huge issue in the USA, and we are
working really hard on it here.

I'll direct your attention to a few sources of research on this in our
local area, and in these resources will also be links to national
efforts:
- http://coalitioncommunitiescolor.org/research/research.html (there's
a chapter on education in every report)
- http://allhandsraised.org/downloads/data-and-research-archive/ (this
is the work of a collaborative effort to improve the education system
and draws in the school districts, city, county, researchers,
community groups, private industry, universities/colleges, foundations
and more)
- http://web.multco.us/sites/default/files/ccfc/documents/exclusionary_discipline_1-3-12.pdf
(a study of exclusionary discipline in our high schools disaggregated
by race)

If there's more I can assist with, please let me know.

Ann Curry-Stevens (formerly from Toronto)

--
Ann Curry-Stevens
Associate Professor