SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:13:55 -0500
NEW POSTINGS AVAILABLE ON THE
CHILDCARE RESOURCE AND RESEARCH UNIT’S WEBSITE

18-Feb-05

All postings available on CRRU’s homepage
http://www.childcarecanada.org/

WHATS NEW

 >> Alternative Federal budget 2005
by Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives calls for re-investment in Canada’s
social infrastructure; recommends a boost in funding for child care and the
introduction of a federal Child Care Act.
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=72421

 >> Canada’s commitment to economic security: A gender analysis of the last
ten
federal budgets
by Yalnizyan, Armine
Report from the Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action
compares
federal budget promises with actual public accounts.
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=72420

CHILD CARE IN THE NEWS

 >> Not all support a national day care program [CA]
CTV.ca ,17 Feb 05
The Liberals have been promising Canadians a national child care program
for
more than 10 years. This year's federal budget appears to be the one that
will
provide the first funding. But while many parents think the program sounds
like
a great idea, not everyone agrees.
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=72416

 >> MP defends “old white guy” remark [CA]
Edmonton Sun, 17 Feb 05
Conservative MP Rona Ambrose yesterday defended calling cabinet minister
Ken
Dryden an "old white guy" while critics on both sides of the day care
debate
derided her for her comment.
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=72417

 >> Budget for child care [CA]
Toronto Star, 17 Feb 05
Child care advocates who had hoped Canada would soon see the creation of a
national child care program - two decades after Brian Mulroney became the
first
of three prime ministers to promise it - are again in waiting mode. But if
cooler heads prevail, the wait should be temporary.
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=72419

 >> CBC Commentary: Sharon Gregson [CA]
CBC news, 16 Feb 05
Why is it so difficult for politicians to craft a national program and
support
it with legislation when we already know the feds are prepared to put
billions
of dollars on the table?
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=72418

 >> Alberta child care needs an upgrade: Non-profit model best for our
children
[CA-AB]
Edmonton Journal, 14 Feb 05
Alberta's Minister for Children's Services, Heather Forsyth, claims to
speak for
Alberta's parents when she says that the province does not want to
participate
in a national child care program because we have "unique local needs". She
does not.
http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?x=72415

ANNOUNCEMENT:
Call for proposals from Social Development Canada:
Understanding the Early Years

 >> On February 16, 2005, Social Development Canada issued a Call for
Proposals
to select up to 25 communities for Understanding the Early Years, a
Government
of Canada initiative. Each community will lead a three-year project to
improve
the well-being of its young children. The Call for Proposals will close on
April
11, 2005.
http://www.sdc.gc.ca/en/hip/sd/UEYCFP2005/guide.shtml

 >> Développement social Canada a lancé un appel de propositions, mercredi
le 16
février, 2005, visant à sélectionner 25 collectivités où sera mise sur pied
l’initiative du gouvernement du Canada appelée Comprendre la petite
enfance.
Chaque collectivité dirigera un projet de trois ans durant lequel elle
recueillera de l’information qu’elle pourra utiliser pour améliorer le
mieux-être de ses jeunes enfants. L'échéance de l'appel de propositions
sera
lundi, le 11 avril 2005.
http://www.dsc.gc.ca/fr/pip/ds/CPEadp2005/guide.shtml

This message was forwarded through the Childcare Resource
and Research Unit e-mail news notifier. For information on the
CRRU e-mail notifier, including instructions for (un)subscribing,
see http://www.childcarecanada.org

The Childcare Resource and Research Unit
University of Toronto, Canada