SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Victoria Smye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2016 18:13:58 +0000
Fantastic news!

Vicki

From: Social Determinants of Health <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 9:00 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [SDOH] Fw: Good news and thanks - 'Health Inequalities: Critical Perspectives'

Dear All,

This is just a quick email to share some good news (esp for those who haven't already heard via Twitter) about our edited book, Health Inequalities: Critical Perspectives.  Last night was the BMA 2016 Book Awards and our book won first prize in the Public Health category.  The judges had considered hundreds of books and 12 were shortlisted in this category so we were pretty surprised to win (esp as ours seems the most political/critical).

Clare and I were there to accept the certificates but the critical perspectives featuring in the book and the engaging, accessible style in which it is written, both of which were praised by judges, are of course down to the contributions that you all made.  So thanks again for the work you put in to making this book happen (and special thanks to Sarah, currently in Prague, for co-editing work and Becky for help with the protracted copyright battles). I'm attaching a few pics and from the awards ceremony if any of you want a certificate (pic attached), we have plenty of copies to share so just let me know.

The book will now feature in the BMJ, and Oxford University Press will also be running features on it so it's a good opportunity to promote the book a bit more and Clare and I will be writing some blogs to help with this. If any of you fancy writing a short blog piece relating to your chapter, that would be great and we would be happy to help get it featured somewhere of you want - please just let us know if so (though fully understand that many of you won't have time!)

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Kat
--