SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Date:
Sun, 1 May 2005 18:58:10 -0400
Here are some starting points you may find useful:

Employer Resource Guide
http://www.lookingahead.bc.ca/employer/

Right Before Your Eyes: Internationally Trained Workers in Canada
This package encourages employers to tap the relatively unexploited
pool of skilled workers with international training and provide
employers with resources that will ease the process of integration
from the initial search through language training.
http://atwork.settlement.org/sys/atwork_library_detail.asp?doc_id=1003400

Bringing Employers Into the Immigration Debate: Survey and Roundtable
To better understand the issues relating to the integration of
immigrants into the workforce, the Public Policy Forum undertook a
research project that focused on employers' perceptions of "recent
immigrants," who were defined as those immigrants who had arrived in
Canada within the last 10 years.
http://atwork.settlement.org/sys/atwork_library_detail.asp?doc_id=1003694

Business Critical: Maximizing the Talents of Visible Minorities - An
Employer's Guide
The guide has been designed to help Canadian organizations maximize
the talents of visible minorities, creating a practical tool to bridge
the gap between rhetoric and results - March 2005.
http://atwork.settlement.org/sys/atwork_library_detail.asp?doc_id=1003808

The Voices of Visible Minorities - Speaking Out on Breaking Down Barriers
This briefing summarizes the key learnings from seven focus groups
with visible minorities in management, supervisory or professional
roles in Canadian public and private sector organizations - September
2004.
http://atwork.settlement.org/sys/atwork_library_detail.asp?doc_id=1003645

Smart Settlement: Current Dispersion Policies and A Community
Engagement Model for Sustainable Immigrant Settlement in Ontario's
Smaller Communities
This paper provides a critical analysis of current government
dispersion policies to have immigrants resettle in smaller cities -
March 2005.
http://atwork.settlement.org/sys/atwork_library_detail.asp?doc_id=1003857

Developing Highly Skilled Workers: Review of Canada
This report identifies the strengths and weaknesses of Canada's
policies to develop highly skilled workers for future industry
requirements - 2004.
http://atwork.settlement.org/sys/atwork_library_detail.asp?doc_id=1003831

The Discounting of Immigrants' Skills in Canada: Evidence and Policy
Recommendations
This study outlines how the education and work experience of newcomers
to Canada is not valued - February 2005.
http://atwork.settlement.org/sys/atwork_library_detail.asp?doc_id=1003783

You'll find these and other useful studies on these sites:

http://atwork.settlement.org/atwork/research/economics.asp

http://ceris.metropolis.net/

http://www.triec.ca/

http://www.maytree.com/