SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Thompson, Kenneth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:12:26 -0500
hi all,

of course the argument you are making here is that the rich benefit from exploiting the poor- or, at the very least, by keeping them poor.

certainly more wealth spread around could mean more competition for scarce resources, driving up the costs the rich must pay.  and certainly, it may be that being rich in a rich society is never as rich as being rich in a poor one...  the sheer power of being rich compared to others guarantees that.

orwell thought that the owner class (the capitalists) would provoke wars whenever it seemed like the poor and working class were threatening to get their hands on more of society's wealth.  why?  because there was obviously too much wealth around and rather then redistribute it and upset the balance of power (in the wrong direction) it would be better to blow lots of things up- basically burning the excess money..

ken