SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:03:47 -0500

www.campaign2000.ca/act/06fedelec/C2000_Election06PartyPostionSummary.pdf

Federal Election 2005/06
Addressing Child and Family Poverty in Canada:
Where do the parties stand?

Campaign 2000 is a non-partisan coalition of 90-plus partner organizations
across Canada. Our latest National Report Card on Child Poverty shows that
despite consecutive years of economic growth, 1.2 million children live in
poverty in our country. Lessons learned from countries which have
successfully addressed child poverty show that government investments in
social programs and good quality labour markets are key.

Canada’s low income families need an Action Plan for Children with
investments in five areas: increased child benefits; national public early
learning and child care; affordable housing; good jobs with living wages;
and post-secondary education. Campaign 2000 wrote to each national party
leader on these issues... SNIP