SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Barbara Neilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:57:46 -0500
My letter

I see from your web site that one of your new priorities is as follows:
"Healthy and Active Living will include comprehensive initiatives that
target two of the primary risk factors for chronic disease – physical
inactivity and unhealthy eating. Our goals include working
collaboratively with our partners to make healthy eating choices
easier and increasing physical activity participation to 55% by 2010."
In viewing the web site as both a social worker and a mother of a son
who is an athlete, I am wondering how this can be a priority with out
addressing the fact that a significant number of our population can't
:
•	afford the food in the fridge in the "fuel the energy engine" game
•	pay the registration or equipment fees to join any of the
organizations you have helpfully provided links to
•	afford any sort of transportation to get their kids to these sports,
let alone asking kids to complete the survey as to whether their
parents come to watch them play!
A healthy living strategy can't be implemented without looking at
addressing the poverty that affects so many in our population. Your
government needs to address this situation immediately
Barbara Neilson MSW, Res. Dip. S.W., RSW