SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Carlos Quinonez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:45:21 -0400
I'm not sure the media does anything, people do things.

We choose to ghetto-ize communities relative to how we think of
things (i.e., reading an article and incorporating it into our
actions), and relative to how we consume things (i.e., buying into a
culture which we know can be a negative thing).

We do this across infinite axes, which in terms of the media, you
could capture under the idea that the media did something.

And banks and business will be discouraged to engage society in a
responsible way as long as we support them through our behaviours.

So in this sense, I always ask myself not what big media and big
business will do, but what I do to give certain social structures the
power that they have, meaning what are the things that I do that
support the people within such social groups and their actions.

Just my thoughts.

CQ