SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Santiago Leon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:50:07 -0500
I wanted to bring to the attention of the group an aspect of educational
equity (or inequity) which is so inherent our current approach to
education that I think it is commonly overlooked.  Please take a look at
this article:

http://www.adihome.org/research/ed-research-blog/entry/literacy-and-mental
-health

A couple of comments:

1.  What first caught my attention about the social determinants of health
was the contribution of inequality and hierarchical systems to stress
(Marmot’s Whitehall Studies, Sapolsky's primate studies, the research
popularized in videos like Unnatural Causes and Killer Stress).  It is
evident to me that our school systems exert these same pressures on
students.

2.  I think that there are multiple links between what happens in schools
and the malfunctioning of our political system.  Aside from the fact that
our educational system accustoms people to hierarchy and inequality as
social models, and fails to provide them with any framework with which to
approach issues of political economy, I think that the "mind-shame"
described in the article also has implications for political behavior.
Specifically, I think it may contribute to people’s resentment towards
intellectual authority and their reluctance to try to think logically
about political/economic issues.  “Critical thinking skills” are all very
well if you feel OK about your mind.

I think that as long as the major measured outputs of our schools are
custodial care and classification into social classes, schools are going
to be a significant and negative social determinant of health.  It may be
that schools also have positive effects, but I think we need to minimize
the harm they do. To operate schools as we do today is analogous to
operating hospitals without attention to infection control.

Santiago Leon