SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 09:23:40 -0400
The following are responses to a story equating Canadian and US value
systems...

Your letter writers (Still Friends, Right? -- May 10) need to be reminded
    that there are specific reasons why Canadians might feel superior to
Americans. I moved here from the U.S. five years ago. I no longer have to
    worry about losing health insurance if I lose my job. I can marry my
male partner. We have a functioning public transportation system. Although
    property crime is bad, violent crime is much lower. And we are at
peace. The real question is, if our two countries' values are so similar,
    how is it that only the Canadian government reflects those values?”
-Bruce MacDonald,  Vancouver, May 11, 2005

“Letter writer Bruce MacDonald, who moved to Canada from the U.S., says
Canadians feel ‘superior’ to Americans because of Canada's better medical
system, superior public transportation, lower violent crime and legalized
gay marriage (Real Canadians Know -- May 11). Perhaps it would be better if
Canadians focused on feeling inferior to the Swedes, the Norwegians and the
Dutch. Smug feelings of superiority blaze a path to stagnant mediocrity,
whereas a sense of inferiority might stimulate improvement.”
-Keith Stringer, Cincinnati, Ohio, May 12, 2005