SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Linda Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:06:53 -0400
hello,
I can't remember now whether a link to the following article was posted to
the SDOH list during the recent flurry of exchanges related to
biopsychiatry's control of available constructions of and social responses
to distress. It's important that we question the unquestionable by
grappling with the dominance of biopsychiatry in government prevention and
health promotion agendas. These broad stroke agendas are terribly
effective at moving questions and alternatives outside what is thought of
as 'known'. There's been a very obvious reallocation of social resources
(research funding which translates to the power to create knowledge and
define practice) to professionals in the field of health and health
research. There is a sorry lack of sites in health where perspectives
opposing the dominance of  biopsychiatry are promoted. The development of
sites for discussion, research, and publications supportive of
alternatives to biopsychiatry's ideology of mental health is absolutely
vital if we intend to maintain discourses of wellness in future.
Thanks to the listmember who sent me the link below. It's interesting to
consider that there are radical people on this list who believe they are
situated too precarously (in relation to funders and their professions) to
take on psychiatry. That speaks to the serious bind we are in. Linda
Psychiatry and Human Rights  Bush's Drug Plan for America
by Pierre Loiselle

http://dominionpaper.ca/health/2005/06/06/psychiatry.html

Linda Green, OISE/UT
Counselling for Community Settings