SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:50:55 -0400
From:
Bill Worrell <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
** Low Priority **

I know I'm coming in late on this, but for what it's worth, we did a fairly interesting project "Lakeshore Community Audit" which was led and implemented by a steering committee of community representatives. It was community led, but there are power differentials within communities too! My biased opinion is that we did some positive work that ersulted in community action, but there were some pretty vicious poiulitcal struggles along the way. SOmetimes we use motherhood words like community and grassroots without being clear who we're talking about.

>>> [log in to unmask] 8/3/2005 6:54 PM >>>
Ken,
Thanks so much for your help.

ANA

Ana Natale-Pereira, MD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Academic Medicine, Geriatrics, and Community Programs
Medical Director
Focus Community Health Center
449 Broad Street
Newark, New Jersey 07102
973-972-0980
973-972-0984 Fax

hi ana,

what you are doing is exactly right... and very rare in the us..
most folks continue to think that the problem for poor folks is only
lack of access to clinical care..very few seem to have figured out, like
you have that, that care is already too late and that what folks lack is
access to an environment that supports/promotes health..  saying, as you
do, that folks are underserved for health promotion and health
education, is exactly right..
your model sounds great.
places you might look too..
are you in touch with the social medicine program at montefiore in the
bronx?  you might also connect with sandor galea at the ny academy of
medince urban medicine project..
you might find information from canada on their efforts at health
promotion of real interest..  the international society for urban health
is meeting there in october in toronto..
finally there is a great deal of activity around health promotion in
the uk that might be of interest... take a look at the usuk dialogue for
achieving health equity in the post de-industrial regions
www.ucis.pitt.edu/gap/health_ineq for more information..
let me know if you would like to join the email list for the
dialogue..

ken