SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Sivan Bomze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:25:45 -0400
Very sad news.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: SPH Public Affairs <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:03:16 -0400
Subject: [faculty-l] Message from Dean Klag--My deepest sympathy
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear colleagues,

I have very sad news. Barbara Starfield, professor of Health Policy
and Management, died Friday evening of an apparent heart attack while
swimming-an activity that she dearly loved.

Our School has lost one of its great leaders. Barbara was a giant in
the field of primary care and health policy who mentored many of us.
Her work led to the development of important methodological tools for
assessing diagnosed morbidity burden and had worldwide impact. She was
steadfast in her belief that a quality primary care system is critical
to the future of health care in this country and worldwide and
received numerous accolades for her work in this important area.

Barbara came to Johns Hopkins in 1959 as a fellow in pediatrics at the
School of Medicine. She joined our School in 1962 where she earned her
MPH in epidemiology. As professor, she went on to lead the Division of
Health Policy in the Department of Health Policy and Management from
1975 to 1994. After stepping down as Division head, Barbara remained
an active member of the HPM faculty and was founding director of the
Primary Care Policy Center. She was named Distinguished University
Professor in 1994. Barbara was greatly admired as a teacher, mentor
and colleague.

I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say that my deepest
sympathies are with Tony Holtzman--Barbara's husband, her four
children, her eight grandchildren, as well her many friends and
colleagues around the world.

We'll provide information about funeral arrangements and a memorial
service when they are available.

Mike

Michael J. Klag, MD, MPH

Dean
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

---
You are currently subscribed to faculty-l as: [log in to unmask]

------------------------------------

Posted from: Spirit of 1848 Listserv
We welcome posting on social justice & public health that provide:

a) information (e.g. about conferences or job announcements or publications
relevant to and making explicit links between social justice & public
health), and

b) substantive queries or comments directly addressing issues relevant to
and making explicit links between social justice and public health.

If your posting is only about social justice/political issues, or only about
public health issues, and does not explicitly connect issues of social
justice & public health, please do not post it on this listserv.

Please note that the listserv does not accept attachments. For petitions,
please post only the text, accompanied by the explicit instruction not to
reply to the listserv but to reply to you directly with signatures.

Community email addresses:
  Post message: [log in to unmask]
  Subscribe:    [log in to unmask]
  Unsubscribe:  [log in to unmask]
  List owner:   [log in to unmask]
  Web page:     www.spiritof1848.org

To subscribe or un-subscribe send an e-mail to the address specified above
with the word "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the subject line. To change to
digest mode (one daily e-mail containing the day's postings), you need to
access your account via the YahooGroups website and select the digest option
under "Message Delivery".

For more information, please see the Spiritof1848 Listserv Semi-Regular
Reminder or e-mail the list owner.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: